Answering your questions
If you still have questions after looking at this site you will probably find answers on this page. These are some of the most popular questions that clients have asked over the years. Please read through and if there are any questions that you don't find answered please let us know and we will get you an answer as soon as possible.
Get Out Of Shape™ :
1. How is Ryan Moschell different from other practitioners?
Ryan Moschell is a Certified Hanna Somatic Educator who uses both cutting edge neuromuscular science of Hanna Somatic Education and over fifteen years of professional bodywork techniques and experience to help you solve your pain and stiffness issues. His passion for his work and ability to listen carefully to your needs will offer you a unique opportunity for success.
2. How is Hanna Somatic Education different from other modalities, and disciplines?
It's based in Neuroscience - This website describes the science behind Somatic education in very plain terms to get the point across, but the science behind Somatics uses terms such as "sensory-motor amnesia", "pandiculation", "startle- response", "withdrawal response", "stretch reflex", "habituated responses" and other phrases to describe why and how the body holds its muscles during and after activities and traumas.
It's brainwork not bodywork - In your sessions and workshops, you'll learn about your own stiffness and muscle issues. Because you learn about your own muscle issues, Ryan Moschell will teach you how your brain controls your muscles, how they may have gotten so tight. This will help you learn how to release your muscle tension on the spot.
It's Experiential Education not therapy - Because each muscle group is allowed to release its tension, the muscles are now free to work correctly again. You are taught ("educated") how to keep your own muscles working again. So in this way, Hanna Somatics is different than in any other discipline because you are educated and taught to create and maintain your own health.
2. What does "Soma" or the word "Somatic" mean?
"Soma" - means your living 'body' experienced from within.
"Somatic" - means related to working with your 'soma' and how to sense and work with your own body from within.
3. Why haven't I heard of Hanna Somatics before now?
1. It's brilliant creator, Dr. Thomas Hanna, the creator of this method, died in a sudden car accident very early in his teaching of this discipline. After his untimely death, his wife and original students have continued the philosophies, science, and hands on techniques from Dr. Hanna's remarkable teachings.
2. Another reason that Somatics is not widely known yet is that it has not been franchised or commercialized like many other methods.
3. Lastly, at the present time, there are very few certified practitioners worldwide. Somatics is continuing to grow slowly and steadily while staying true to its roots.
4. Many disciplines that I have tried require me to return every week or every few weeks for many months. Why is this different?
Experiential education not therapy - Many practitioners keep patients coming back because their results are attained through continual in-person practitioner manipulation or adjustment. The practitioner is doing something to you. Most of these modalities don't offer you a skill that you can embody and learn to use anytime anywhere. Between sessions life continues to happen, tension returns, and you don't have any skills to maintain what you gained while in your session. In contrast, Ryan Moschell will help clients identify their problems, and then teach the clients to understand and heal themselves - using the process for the rest of their lives.
This process typically starts with 5 sessions where Ryan Moschell uses expert hands-on techniques to experientially teach you the foundational skills you need. You will need more or fewer sessions based on the severity of the challenge and commitment to refining your personal and professional goals. Our overall focus is to teach you awareness and skills, to be self-sufficient, and have you come back as needed.
When you see what this process and the healing can do, you will want to help your friends and family: recommending Ryan Moschell - your Clinical Practitioner - to them!
Your Practitioner - Ryan Moschell:
1. How long have you been in practice?
I have been a full time licensed massage therapist since 1999. I have been a Hanna Somatic Educator since 2010.
2. Do you have a part time or full time practice?
I have been a full time bodyworker, owned, and run my own business since 1999.
3. Are you licensed to practice?
I am both state licensed in Maryland and board certified nationally (NCBTMB) as a licensed massage therapist. I am also a certified Hanna Somatic Educator.
1. What are the prices for your services?
- Prices are listed on my Start Now page, depending on the type of sessions or discounted series that you need.
- I offer discounted series and annual memberships to make taking care of yourself easier.
- There are no additional taxes or fees other than the price that is listed for sessions or series.
FYI - Here is an article from Newsweek to give you some perspective on the high cost of mainstream healthcare (therapy, medication, surgery) for pain without actually reducing the number of sufferers. Get Out Of Shape now can save you money and time in the long run.
"...Not only are more people seeking treatment for back pain, but the price of treatment per person is also up. In the JAMA study, researchers at the University of Washington and Oregon Health & Science University compared national data from 3,179 adult patients who reported spine problems in 1997 to 3,187 who reported them in 2005—and found that inflation-adjusted annual medical costs increased from $4,695 per person to $6,096..." Newsweek 2/08 "The Price of Back Pain"
2. What are the lengths of your services?
- 30 minute in-person, webcam, and phone
Private clinical sessions:
- 60 and 90 minute sessions
Webcam online movement classes:
- 60 and 90 minutes
- Locally 3 hours to 5 days
- Traveling 2 to 5 days
- From 15 minutes to 90 minute
3. Do you take extra time during the first session(s)?
Yes, I have found that to get the most out of your initial experience that 90 minute sessions are best for the first 5 sessions.
4. How far in advance do I typically have to schedule to get an appointment?
- As of right now two weeks out is a good amount of time to schedule.
- In order to get the day and time that you want It is always best to reschedule at the end of your appointment.
- As a regular client you can schedule out as far in advance as you like. I will give you fair warning if I need to adjust your future schedule for any unforeseen events or circumstances.
5. Do I need permission or a prescription from a physician to participate in your sessions?
- You need to be able to do gentle, slow, self-regulated movements. If you feel that may be an issue in your case please consult your physician.
- A prescription from your physician can be important when you are submitting a claim to your insurance company.
6. Do you take insurance?
Direct insurance is not taken at the Somatic Health Solutions offices, However if your physician refers you to me some insurance companies may reimburse for out of network practitioners. You will need to pay at your time of visit and then you can submit your insurance claims with my CPT code (#97124) for reimbursement.
7. What should I wear or bring with me to my sessions?
- You will be fully clothed during your session
- Wear comfortable clothing that will allow you to move freely
- Bring socks and an extra layer to help regulate your body temperature
- You can bring a pen and paper if you want to take notes
- Please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne, or strong scents
8.Where is your office located?
My office is located at 645 Ridgely Ave., Annapolis, MD, 21401, USA in a professional building called Full Circle Healing Arts.
9. Is there parking near your office building?
Yes. We have parking spaces that are exclusively for our office building. The building is on the corner of Ridgely Ave. and North Bestgate. The entrance for parking is off of North Bestgate Rd. The sign for the office building says Full Circle Healing Arts.
10. How far in advance should I arrive before my session?
- If it is your first session please arrive 10 minutes before so that you can fill out your intake paperwork.
- If it is a follow up visit you can arrive at your scheduled appointment time.
- Always consider the time of day, season, and weather and adjust your commute time accordingly.
11. What are your cancellation, rescheduling and late policies?
- If you cancel more than 24 hours before your appointment
- If you cancel within the 24 hour window and someone is able to fill your appointment
- Extenuating circumstances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
Charged Full Price:
- If you cancel within the 24 hour window and no one is able fill your scheduled appointment.
How to Reschedule:
- You can reschedule online, e-mail, or by phone anytime before the 24 hour window.
- I wait for 15 minutes and if I do not hear anything from you the session is cancelled.
- If you arrive after 15 minutes without contact, consider you appointment cancelled.
- If when you arrive I am still available we can discuss having an abbreviated session.
12. How can I reschedule or cancel my appointment online?
Confirmation e-mail links:
- Go to your e-mail service
- Type "Setster" into your search bar
- Look for your most recent confirmation or reminder e-mail
- Scroll down through your e-mail and towards the bottom you will see two links that will look like this:
How Can You Help Me?
1. If I am not near your offices, can I still get pain relief from you?
Yes! You can travel to me for a Somatic Education Vacation, schedule Webcam Sessions online, or organize a Workshop in your area to bring my services into your organization, team, group, or community.
2. I don't have pain, but I'd like to improve and excel at my sport or fitness program. Can you help me?
Yes. Many people might not have a specific pain, but they may be stiff in their back, shoulders, arms, legs, or core. This stiffness may be keeping you from progressing, or from feeling fluid and strong. Whether you are a professional athlete or weekend warrior, a Private Session or a Workshop will teach you how to release any stiffness - most likely, you will feel very free in your whole body, so your sport improves because your muscles are ready and under your control.
3. I think this might help my co-workers at my office. Is it possible for you to teach a group or give a talk at my workplace?
Yes. People in office situations can benefit from learning how to release stiffness, tension, or pain - even while sitting at a desk or standing in just a few minutes a day. A Workshop or Group Talk might be what your workplace needs.
4. What kind of health issues can you help me with?
Many common physical limitations can have a connection to chronically tight muscles, Sensory-Motor Amnesia. This is a general list of issues that clients have told us that they have been found relief from.
- Aging - Aches and Pains
- Back Pain
- Breathing, Shallow
- Flexibility, Poor
- Foot Pain
- Headaches, Migraines
- Hip Pain
- Leg Pain
- Muscular Pain
- Neck Pain
- Numbness, Hands or Feet
- Posture, Poor
- Shoulder Pain
- Spasm, Muscle
- Spine, Curvature
- Tension Muscular
- Tired, Muscles
- Cant get relief from:
- Similar Conditions...
5. I am focused on improving aspects of my life rather than eliminating pain and tension. Can you help me with this?
Most people move into shapes daily and may not have pain and stiffness. The fact is that most of us have some muscular contractions, Sensory-Motor Amnesia, that we may be unaware of that can limit our lives in many different ways. Here is a list of just a few of the life activities Ryan Moschell can help you with so you can continue to do the things you love with ease and freedom.
- Athletics, Professional
- Aging well
- Everyday Activities
- Fun and Spontaneity
- Home Life
- Making a Living
- Posture and Appearance
- Physical Fitness
- Physical Independence
- Post Trauma Relief
- Performers and Muscians
- Sleep Better
- Stress Management
- Weekend Warriors
- Many more...
Get Started Now!
Click below for the quickest and easiest way to Get Out Of Shape.
You can make your appointment right here, right now in just a few minutes!
Whether you live locally or at a distance there are many ways for you to get the help you need.